DYP favourite Local Businesses: Tomorrow is Small Business Saturday. It’s a campaign to support, inspire and promote small businesses across the entire UK. Encompassing a great celebration and a shift towards buying local and being more aware of where your products come from, who makes them and are they ethically made.
It’s held on the first Saturday in December every year and by encouraging shoppers to “shop local”, it highlights the benefits of small businesses to local communities.
The benefits of shopping local and using small businesses, over big corporations are many. Here’s just four of the reasons we support them.
- Big companies provide more choice. Well that is just not true. Most small businesses are able to personalise, and work with you to create something truly unique. More often than not, large companies haven’t the infrastructure or want, to help as personalisation doesn’t fit their mould of ‘stack them high and sell them quick’.
- Then there’s the customer service. Excellent customer service is the life blood of small businesses. They can respond to customer requests much more flexibly, and it’s all very hands on. We often know our customers face to face.
- Did you know that the majority of firms in the UK are actually small businesses? Two thirds of private sector jobs are with small businesses.
- Small businesses are more likely to contribute to the local community.
- With big corporations, the profit goes to shareholders. Goodness knows who or where they are. In a small business, the money stays local. The wealth gets spent locally.
- For every £1 spent with a local small business, 70p stays in the local economy.
DYP Favourite Local Businesses
DYP is a small business, we thought we’d share some of our favourite small businesses. They’re all Yorkshire based, some of them in DYP’s home town of Otley. We always buy local and support our fellow artisans and shopkeepers. Though we’re an internet based business and we sell online; it is still important to shop local and nip out for a naughty cake or quick coffee.
In our little town of Otley, we have a bustling marketplace that without it’s locals and tourists wouldn’t be able to supply the people who don’t necessarily use the internet. So for us we feel it’s important to strike a balance. We’re so proud to share with you some of DYP Favourite Local Businesses.
Here are some of DYP Favourite Local Businesses
The Art Works Are our picture framers based in Otley near to Leeds. Specialising in custom framing services for over 15 years, they have a reputation for delivering a premium service at competitive prices. Brilliant guys, exceptional quality and customer service, can’t recommend them enough. BJ and Martin are awesome and we love working with them. Even when we request odd framing requirements!
Halo Hair Design Helen started Halo by taking a leap of faith and has now built up a brilliant hair salon on Otley’s bustling high street. She also supports young people through apprenticeships and encourages other small business owners to rent space within her premises to help them get established in their skills. From nails, to hair extensions, to some of the best coffee we’ve had. Halo really do have a halo!
Myroo Skincare The UK’s first totally free-from skincare brand, created by Rachael Dunseath. The award-winning products are now even stocked in John Lewis! Rachael’s products are natural, organic and vegan. All her products are free from nuts, gluten and dairy. They also have fragrance free versions of every product. They’re based in Harrogate, and the products are gorgeous. (The Lemon body butter is our favourite!)
Serenity Gifts A family business, Serenity Gifts specialises in scented candles. They are proud to be Official stockists of the popular American Yankee Candles, and Candleberry Candles. They have gone from tiny Facebook store to a thriving company with its own premises. Sarah who started the business has also started to branch into Yankee Candle parties where you can shop from the comfort of your own home.
Bow Baskets Our friends at Bow Baskets make high end tailored made hampers. Specialising in corporate gifting, they’ve secured huge contracts with Vodaphone, Forumla One and RBS to name a few of the clients. Emily, CEO and founder has built the business up and it has gone from strength to strength with big corporate clients as loyal customers.