2016 is turning out to be memorable for all the wrong reasons. The Grim Reaper has been at it again. Tearing his way through the music industry. Just in the last week he’s had Leon Russel, Leonard Cohen and today Mose Allison. What a bloody year! In 2015 we lost Lemmy, Errol Brown, B B King, and Allen Toussaint, so maybe every year is a good year for the Reaper. But really, we think he’s had his share this year. Some of these guys were old, we know they had to go some time. But please no more! We asked our resident muso/social media manager to put together a bit of a playlist for us.
The Grim Reaper’s 2016 Haul
Just incase you’re too young to know who these guys and gals are, here’s a quick guide to the 2016 departed.
- Mose Allison, influential jazz and blues pianist, singer and songwriter
- Leon Russel, American musician and record producer
- Leonard Cohen, singer, songwriter, guitarist
- Pete Burns, singer, songwriter and tv celeb, founder of Dead or Alive
- Prince, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, innovator
- David Bowie, singer, songwriter and actor, innovator
- Candye Kane, blues singer
- Merle Haggard, country singer/songwriter/guitarist
- Bernie Worrell, keyboardist and founding member of Parliament/Funkadelic
- Lemmy, bass player and Motorhead frontman
- George Martin, fifth member of the Beatles
- Glen Frey best known as founding member of The Eagles
- Keith Emerson, keyboard player with The Nice, and Emerson Lake and Palmer.
- Paul Kantner guitarist, singer songwriter, founder of Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship
- Viola Beach, indie band from Warrington, all died in a car accident
- Maurice White, singer, songwriter, record producer, and member of Earth Wind and Fire
- Dave Swarbrick, folk fiddler, member of Fairport Convention
- Robert Stigwood, Australian music entrepreneur best known for managing Cream and the Bee Gees and producer on Saturday Night Fever and Grease
- Otis Clay, R and B and Soul Singer
- Prince buster, Jamaican ska and rocksteady singer songwriter and producer